Saturday, January 15, 2011

Free Crochet Pattern: Heart Shaped Baby Doll


I am having so much fun with this 3D heart pattern!! One of my sons just loves carrying small toys around so I decided to turn it into a miniature doll.

Materials:
Crochet hook size E/4, 3.50mm
Worsted weight acrylic yarn in red (or pink or purple) and peach
Polyester fiberfill
Embroidery floss in dark brown and dark pink
Sewing needle
Yarn needle

Heart Body:
To make the heart I followed the pattern in the link above, but I didn't use the tail of Top A to sew the hole closed between Top A and Top B. I left the hole open because this is where the doll's head will be.
I followed the pattern up to Rnd 7.
Rnds 8-9: sc in each sc around (24).
Rnd 10: [sc in next 2 sc, sc2tog] 6 times (18).
Rnd 11: sc in each sc around (18).
Rnd 12: [sc in next sc, sc2tog] 6 times (12).
Rnd 13: [sc in next 2 sc, sc2tog] 3 times (9).
Rnd 14: [sc in next sc, sc2tog] 3 times (6).
Finish off leaving a 6" tail. Weave tail through remaining 6 sc and pull up firmly to close the hole.
Stuff the heart through the hole in the top of the heart.

Head:
With peach yarn
Rnd 1: 6 sc into a magic ring (6).
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12).
Rnd 3: [sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc] 6 times (18).
Rnds 4-6: sc in each sc around (18).
Rnd 7: [sc in next sc, sc2tog] 6 times (12).
Pause to embroider eyes and mouth onto face.
Rnd 8: [sc in next 2 sc, sc2tog] 3 times (9).
Rnd 9: [sc in next sc, sc2tog] 3 times (6).
Finish off leaving a 12" tail. Stuff head. Weave tail through remaining 6 sc and pull up firmly to close the hole. Sew head to opening at top of heart.

Cap:
With red yarn
Rnd 1: 4 sc into a magic ring (4).
Rnd 2: [sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc] 2 times (6).
Rnd 3: [sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc] 3 times (9).
Rnd 4: [sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc] 3 times (12).
Rnd 5: [sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc] 6 times (18).
Rnd 6: sc in each sc around (18).
Rnd 7: [sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc] 6 times (24).
Rnd 8: sc in each sc around (24).
Finish off leaving a 12" tail. Sew cap to head. Weave in ends.

I planned to stop after making the red doll, but they were so much fun that I made the pink and purple ones too :)

19 comments:

fannysmama said...

*eeeek* so cute! thank you so much for this great idea, anna! i will link you after finishing...tomorrow at
http://myfunnyfanny.blogspot.com/
;O)
have a sunny sunday!
greets from germany
andrea

Tadewi said...

Wow thats sooooo great!!! And I "only" be able to sew.;o)

TC Tadewi

Dragonflymomof2 said...

OH MY!! These are just adorable!

Cristina Rodguez said...

Thanks for sharing! Love them!
http://magneticmary.blogspot.com/2011/01/hearties.html

Jette Marie Andersen said...

Way to cute. Yhanks for sharing.
Jette

Carla said...

Wow, this is soooo cute! Thank you very much for sharing this pattern with us.

Tania Romualdo said...

Hi Anna, Few days ago I found your blog and fell in love with your heart babies. I made some myself. They are smaller than yours because I worked with thinner yarn.
Thanks so much for sharing the pattern. I posted mine on my blog but mentioned that I found the pattern in yours. I hope thats ok for you. If not, tell me and I'll edit the post.

Anna said...

Hi, Tania! Thank you for sharing your pictures with me. That is such a cute idea to make them into keychains! And it is absolutely fine with me if you mention it on your blog :)

Bill Julie Arbuckle said...

These are soo cute!! I make items for extreme preemies and bereavement items and I think these would/could be a blessing to those who have lost a tiny loved one. Thanks for sharing!
ps. I think your etsy stuff are awesome too! so often items of that sort are cheesy looking, but not yours! you are a great artist!

Bill Julie Arbuckle said...

This is so cute! I make items for preemies and as bereavement tokens for parents. I think would be a nice gift for them. "heart baby" looks so peaceful! The only change I made was to add a floppy tassel to the top of the hat.
Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

These are so cute that I relearned how to crochet so that I could make them for my three daughters. Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

This is soooo cute! I will make it for sure.

nomad said...

Hello Anna. I have been looking for a way to help my friend raise money for her daughter's heart operation. Regina is 4 months now and has had one operation already. She still needs two more (you can read about her @ contodomicorazon.com there is a link to the English version).

If you do not mind I would like to turn this into that way of helping her raise the money.

I have never done this before so I thought I would ask for your blessing /permission first.

Thank you.

Anna said...

Hi! Yes if you want to use this pattern to raise money for Regina that is more than fine with me. Thank you for asking and I hope she has a speedy recovery :)

bevq said...

These are so adorable! Thank you. I also wanted to ask if I could make some to sell in my Etsy shop which was set up as a place to raise money to help my son pay his legal fees to gain custody of my little grandson.

We have not been permitted to see him since he was a baby, and he is now 3.

I've placed a link on my bearsndolls page on my site, so others can make these for charity or loved ones.
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com

My shop is here if you want to make sure it's valid. Thanks for considering it.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/bevqual

Bev

Shirley Borges said...

Que coisa mais linda! Estou encantada com seus trabalhos. Parabéns!!!!

Lissa said...

Awwwwww. I'm in love...

These are adorable, Anna. I can't wait to make them!

Twincult2 said...

I love this, great lil gift for the nieces and nephiew

Unknown said...

Wonderful things from you, man. I have examine your stuff before and you are just also awesome. I enjoy what you have got right here, enjoy what you are saying and the way you say it. You make it entertaining and you still manage to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read more from you. That is really a great blog for baby dolls.