Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Free Crochet Pattern: Lazy Wave Hand Towel


We just finished remodeling our basement and I needed a hand towel for the new bathroom. I looked everywhere but couldn't find one I liked, so I decided to make one myself. But I had no idea what to make or what colors to use. The basement is neutral in different shades of beige, brown and grey. Then it hit me - I would copy the wavy design in the throw pillows on the couch.

It had been a long time since I'd made a chevron or ripple afghan so I needed a refresher course. I found this great 5 part video tutorial that helped me come up with this pattern.

Materials:
- Crochet hook size H - 5mm
- Worsted weight cotton yarn in colors of your choice (I used Loops & Threads Cotton Club yarn from Michaels because that was the only brand that made grey cotton yarn!)



Stitches:
- chain (ch)
- double crochet (dc)
- dc decrease: Yarn over, insert hook into next stitch and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through 2 loops, yarn over, insert hook into next stitch and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through 2 loops, (there should now be 3 loops on the hook). Yarn over and pull through all 3 loops.

I didn't write down when I changed colors, I just freehanded it.

With yarn color of your choice
Ch 51
Row 1: dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in next 3 ch, [dc decrease, dc decrease, 1 dc in next 3 ch, 2dc in next 2 ch, 1 dc in next 3 chs] 3 times, dc decrease, dc decrease, 1 dc in next 2 ch, 2dc in last ch, ch 3, turn (45).
Row 2: dc in next 3 dc, [dc decrease, dc decrease, 1 dc in next 3 dc, 2dc in next 2 dc, 1 dc in next 3 dc] 3 times, dc decrease, dc decrease, 1 dc in next 2 dc, 2dc in last dc, ch 3, turn (45).
Rows 3-41: dc in next 3 dc, [dc decrease, dc decrease, 1 dc in next 3 dc, 2dc in next 2 dc, 1 dc in next 3 dc] 3 times, dc decrease, dc decrease, 1 dc in next 2 dc, 2dc in the 3rd ch of the ch 3 you made at the end of the previous row, ch 3, turn (45).
Finish off and weave in ends.

5 comments:

Katie Berberich Handmade said...

Perfect, what a great idea.
Katie

Valéria Torres said...

Hello Anna,
This work is beautiful, I loved.
Thanks for sharing!
Valeria - Mundo Encantado.
http://mundoencantadocrocheecia.blogs.sapo.pt/

stef said...

I've just post pictures and french translation on my blog just your free pattern of course
http://stecolargol.over-blog.com/
Your work is so wonderful !
Do you agree ?
many many thanks
Say to me I'll delete french translation if you'll not agree
many thanks

Unknown said...

love the waves!
Just found you on Pinterest, love your etsy store patterns :)

Anna said...

Hi, Stef! Yes, posting the french translation on your blog is fine with me. Thank you, Anna :)