Thursday, January 13, 2011

Free Crochet Pattern: Valentine Garland

I found this adorable pattern for 3D hearts and decided to modify it a bit and make it into garland. Here is how I did it:

Materials:
Crochet hook size E/4
Worsted weight acrylic yarn in red, dark pink and light pink
Polyester fiberfill

First I made a chain for the hearts to hang from that was about 6 feet long. Then I alternated big hearts and smaller hearts in shades of red, dark pink and light pink.

I made the big hearts using the pattern I found here, which has a lot of useful photos. After I sewed the two tops together using the tail from Top A, I left that tail hanging on the outside of the heart until the heart was finished. Then I chained 5 with that tail and used it to sew the heart to the 6' long chain.

I made the smaller hearts by modifying that pattern as follows:
Top A:
Rnd 1: 6 sc into a double loop start and pull the loop closed (6).
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12).
Sl st in next st. Finish off leaving 10” long tail.
Top B:
Rnd 1: 6 sc into a double loop start and pull the loop closed (6).
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12).
Rnd 3 : Sc in next 6 scs, continue to merge Top A and Top B together by inserting your hook into first stitch after sl st made on Top A and continue to make 1 sc in all 12 stitches. Insert hook back into Top B and work 1 sc in next 6 sc (24).
Using a yarn needle and the tail from Top A close the gap between Top A and Top B. Leave the tail from Top A hanging outside of the heart and continue to crochet the heart.
Rnd 4 : Sc in each sc around (24).
Rnd 5 : [Sc in next 2 sc, sc2tog] 6 times (18).
Rnd 6: [Sc in next sc, sc2tog] 6 times (12). Stuff the heart.
Rnd 7: [sc2tog] 6 times (6).
Finish off leaving a 6" tail and weave through remaining 6 sc. Pull up firmly to close the hole and weave in ends.
Using the tail from Top A, chain 5 and then sew that chain to the 6' long chain.

I sewed the hearts to the chain about every 15 chains. Enjoy :)

7 comments:

Creative Design said...

Anna, thanks so much for the cute pattern! You can never have enough heart patterns! For that matter, you can never have enough hearts period! Any time of year!

Best,
Sheila

Free Crochet said...

I love these heart patterns - thanks for sharing them - they are beautiful!

Marie said...

that is so cute. thank you for sharing.

Marie said...

your on my top five free valentine crochet patterns, come by my blog and check it out tomorrow it will be posted. congrats :)

Doris Sturm said...

this is very pretty - thank you so much for sharing your pattern with us...

Doris

Justkat said...

This crochet pattern is great. I made a strand only I used different colors to go with some other decor for the holiday. I was wondering if I could have permission to add a link to this page in an article I'm writing. I wanted to share with readers what I'm doing for this up coming Valentine's. Let me know if it's alright, and thanks for sharing this great pattern.

Anna said...

Hi! Yes, you can link to this page in your article. Thank you so much, Anna :)