Sunday, March 13, 2011

Free Crochet Pattern: Mug Cozy

Here is a pattern for a mug cozy that has a bottom too, so it also works as a coaster! It will fit an average size mug that is 3" in diameter and 4" tall. See below for instructions on how to easily adjust the size of the cozy to fit other mugs :)

Materials:
- Cotton yarn
- Size H8 - 5 mm crochet hook
- Button that is 1" in diameter
- Needle

Rnd 1: 6 sc into an adjustable ring and pull the ring closed (6).
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12).
Rnd 3: [Sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc] 6 times (18).
Rnd 4: [Sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc] 6 times (24).
Rnd 5: [Sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc] 6 times (30).
Rnd 6: [Sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc] 6 times (36).
Rnd 7: working in back loops only, sc in each sc around (36).
Rnd 8: sc in each sc around (36).
Now you are going to work in rows.
Row 9: ch 1, turn, sc in next 32 sc, ch 1, turn (32).
Rows 10-19: sc in each sc across, ch 1, turn (32).
Continue to sc evenly along the opening for the handle until to reach the top of Row 19 on the other side of the opening. Ch 18 (this forms the loop that goes around the button).
Row 20: Continue to sc in first sc on Row 19 and sc in each sc across (32).
Finish off and weave in ends.
Sew on button.

If your mug is a different diameter, you can easily make it smaller or larger by comparing the size of your work to the bottom of the mug after each round. After Rnd 4, place your work against the bottom of the mug to see if you will have the right size after Rnd 5. Or if your mug is larger, you may need to make a new Rnd 7 that is six stitches more than Rnd 6 (i.e., [sc in next 5 sc, 2sc in next sc] 6 times (42)). The bottom of the mug cozy will lay flat if you continue to make each round 6 stitches more than the previous round. Then, when you start making the rows up the sides of the mug, just leave 4 open stitches for the handle. For example, in my pattern Rnd 8 was 36 stitches so Row 9 was only 32 stitches.

If your mug is shorter or taller just adjust the number of rows that you make, fitting the cozy around the mug every so often as you work.

Enjoy!

26 comments:

glor said...

This is not only adorable but what a great way to protect your table ...coaster and all! Thanks for the pattern.

Sandy Krout said...

Thank you so much!!!

patriciaa.kleinschm said...

This is one of the nicer mug cozies I have seen. I like your color selections.
Thanks for sharing.
Pat K

Tracey Leeder said...

Thank you for this pattern! I love it! I have made 4 so far and it a great pattern.

oceangirl81al said...

What row did you change colors on? I am super excited to try to make this!

Anna said...

I'm not sure but I think I change from brown to lime green yarn after Row 12. Sorry, I didn't write that down and just freehanded the colors.

Anonymous said...

On the rounds, at the end it says 6 times. Does that mean do that round 6 times? That seems like a lot.

Anna said...

No, it means you repeat the stitches inside the square brackets 6 times. I hope that helps :)

Katherine said...

I made this in just about 2 hours! Perfect for a laidback evening! The barista at the coffee shop where I was sitting loved it!

Franziska said...

I just made one as a birthday present for a friend of mine! He'll love it! Thanks a lot for the pattern! It's just the perfect present!! :)

stephannie.i said...

I don't get crotchet patterns! :( the only thing I can do is make a rectangle scarf. Any pointers? How do you change colors?

Anna said...

Hi, Stephannie! There are a lot of helpful videos on You Tube that can teach you how to crochet in the round, change colors, etc. Here are some links:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdb5xv_crochet-how-to-change-color-without_school

http://www.wikihow.com/Crochet-in-the-Round

stephannie.i said...

Thank you so much! I plan on making a couple of these for my inlaws anniversary if I can figure it out! I think a video is what I need :) thanks so much!

Mary said...

Round one confusing me - how many chains? Or are you referring to a special something called a round? I'm clueless!

Anna said...

Hi, Mary! The pattern starts with an adjustable ring, which is sometimes called a magic adjustable ring. If you google it you can find tutorials and even YouTube videos showing you how to do it. You could also start by chain 2 and 6 sc into the 2nd chain. I hope that helps! Anna :)

Unknown said...

Thank you! I just finished one. It was so easy and totally beautiful!!!

Debivi said...

I can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing :)

Kristin said...

I just got done looking at your Etsy shop, and I just want to say that you are a genius! I can't believe how imaginative you are, and then on top of that to be able to create all that play food! I will definitely have to remember to come back and purchase some patterns after Christmas. A lot of that would be great for my kids!

Kernal Knocko said...

I love you, CraftyAnna! You always have a pattern to save the day!

~Rusti~ said...

Thank you so much for this pattern. I made 2 (one for each of my daughter's teachers) as Christmas gifts! I love this pattern!

~Rusti~ said...

Thank you so much for this pattern! I tried it out and love it!

Anonymous said...

Great pattern! I made one as a "2012 Pay it Forward" gift for a friend. Thank you so much for sharing it!

M.K. said...

I am SO making some of these! Found you from Pinterest :)

Jay said...

I just made one for my fiancee and she adores it! I'm making four more for my other mugs.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this I just made one for my sons teacher for the first day of school and I'm sure she will Love it!

Lauren Fosberry said...

Would anyone be willing to make a youtube video for this pattern? I would love to be able to do it, but I'm just learning to crochet and am having a hard time figuring out if I"m following the pattern right or not! I would really appreciate it! I'm planning to make a bunch of these for christmas presents.